CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Spring Break

Because we had 2 extra days for spring break this year, (parent teacher conferences), I decided it was the perfect time to take the kids down to Mexico and participate in one of my dad's Charity Anywhere Expeditions. I also thought I would kill two birds with one stone and finally take my kids to Disneyland on the way down. We had a couple extra bonuses, my sister, Melinda, and her family, and my mom were all able to come. My dad had already been down there a week and crossed back over the border to pick up my mom from the airport and meet us for Disneyland. We had a great time. We stayed at the Hilton, thanks Priceline, and lived it up before crossing the border on Sunday morning for church. Everyone worked really hard the rest of the week. We couldn't have done it without Mike. My Dad also had everything arrange so well. Our sleeping arrangements were way too nice and I wondered why I had paid so much money without my kids sleeping among scorpions, going without running water and toilets, and learning to shower with a bucket of cold water while mosquitoes ate them alive. That was all a disappointment, to come back to the "hospital" where we were staying to a bed, a warm shower, and toilets. Actually I thought it couldn't have worked our nicer. I have awesome parents that are great examples to my children and I appreciate how much they did to make this happen, not only for me, but many people for over a decade. We were able to cross back over the border on Friday and go to an evening at California Adventure before pulling in really late to Bakersfield. We were able to have lunch with Jeff's Grandpa on Sat and then head home. Melinda's family split off at Sacramento and we hauled it all the way in on Sunday. Over the next few days I will add some pictures and comments of the trip, probably not in order. Thanks to all that welcomed me back. It was great to feel missed. I would have to say how much I love the USA. What a wonderful beautiful place I am blessed to live.

4 comments:

Melinda said...

It wouldn't have been as great of a trip without you guys. Loved every second of our time together.

Melissa-Mc said...

What a great experience! That will be great mission prep for your kids.

Susan said...

What a wonderful trip we had. I loved painting with Carissa (yellow paint over much of her arms), Hammering siding with Casey (He learned some great techniques)Watching Samantha gather her cousins and make fun of laying tar paper on the roofs, Watching Blake lift the huge sheet rock panels and lay them in place and hang them. He has grown to be a fine young man. And watching Rachael labor with all her might to give to a little Mexican family the best she could as a representation of a gift from the Wight family, a gift from her Carter heritage and a gift from Christ. I hope this will be among more opportunities to be with our dear grandchildren. Love Grandma Carter

Darilyn said...

What a great trip. I'm still dying to know more about it. Sounds like a trip your family will always remember.