CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Horrah for Israel!


Well I have joined the ranks of missionary mom's across the world. What an experience. The last week IS hard. The last day about killed me just thinkin about it. Now that it is over, and he is gone, it is a little easier. Blake was so cool. He surprised each of the kids at school and brought them lunch from their favorite fast food restaurant and ate lunch with them. He put up with me taking pictures of him and Mitch for his 19th birthday/mission portraits. I bribed them with lunch at Olive Garden. Yesterday he finished packing, played some football video game with Cason, and went to one last movie with Mitch. We had such a wonderful night participating in him getting set apart. Our stake President is really inspired. I held it together the whole time (YAY ME), and didn't shed a tear. Then we went out to dinner at Ramano's Macaroni Grill. Unfortunately for Cason, who was begging, we passed on going to Cold Stone and decided we better get to bed because each of us had a big day ahead of us. We all got up at 4:00 and left at 4:30. The line was long for Delta so we just did the curb side service for $4 instead. Blake looked totally together as he check in. I tried to get a couple of pictures. Then we headed straight for the security check in, which was really busy too. We got a couple of pictures with Mitch and one with our whole family and then had to hurry and say goodbye before he hit the check in part of security. Boy it came fast!! Then I couldn't contain the swelling in my heart and it broke and I started leaking. Boy I love that kid. I'm so happy for him, and wouldn't want him anywhere else. But he will be missed. I guess it was good that it was fast. I teared up off and on, on the way home. The kids slept, and Jeff and I just drove home in quiet. I was fine before we hit Beaverton and am so happy that I have such a great son. I hit the bed and slept for a while before getting up and hitting the day. I have already written him and sent him some cinnamon rolls. He should be dropped off anytime now by my parents who met him in SLC and are the ones taking him to the MTC. What an experience. He does have his own blog where I will be posting his letters, if I can just figure out how to put a link to it... I will also be managing a facebook group. You can look at his other pictures there too. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=288106450625
Thanks out to everyone that has helped me raise my family. We just can't do it alone, and I thank you, thank you, thank you, for all that you have done!!!

8 comments:

Tonya said...

I can't imagine! I remember when Blake was 6. Now, that tweaks me out! Love the picture of him. So fun. It's neat that you were able to spend so much quality time with him before he left. By the way...I CAN'T do Portland to Coast. My hubby has a conference that weekend and it's Eli's 8th b-day on Saturday. I have to be here. I so want to do it again...hopefully in 2011.

Tiffany Gremmert said...

You even made me tear up. Oh that is such a bitter sweet departure for all involved. I dreaded that walking away moment the most when I left. I'm so happy for him. He will have the time of his life. His mission has begun! You have raised a good family. We sure love all of you!

Melinda said...

He is a great kid, but you and Jeff have been great parents!!! I can't even think of sending Tom off.....I get too choked up.

We will write him this week for sure.
and I love the fun picture!@!!

Susan said...

I told Elder Wight yesterday that I was the crying Grandma. It was hard to drop him off and say goodbye. BUT it was in such a loving, positive atmosphere that I knew that he was now in the hands of God! I am happy and proud of him. And I am so grateful that he has such loving and wonderful parents that have taught him the lessons of life and the gospel. What a GREAT example Elder Wight sets for all those who will come after him. Yeah Wights

MandaJ said...

He is such a great kids from and awesome family. Our kids have been praying for him to be ready to go for weeks now so that must be why he was so put together and set... :) So excited to hear all that is to come.

Clint Carter said...

We are behind you 100%!

Grace said...

this is so exciting Rachael..great times are ahead for Blake. He's already a great young man but just imagine how this mission will mold and build him and make him even more than he now is. it's so cool!

Becca said...

WOW!!!! I can't believe he's on his mission. I think I met you guys when he was 3. I remember thinking he was the cutest 3 year old EVER with his curly hair. Now he's a man. Where does the time go. LOVE the picture. You are one great momma and he's one great kid.